1 kg mushrooms, washed and halved
2 kg diced carrots
4 cloves garlic, puree with salt
2 kg diced Spanish onions
20 g fresh thyme
2.5 kg diced potato
2 kg plum tomatoes - roughly chopped
4 bay leaves
3 ltr beef stock
5 kg diced flank beef – fat removed
200 g fine diced bacon
4 tbl sp olive oil
2 pts Guinness
50 ml soy sauce
Season to taste
1. Gently sweat off onions in a large pot until transparent in appearance.
2. Remove and set aside.
3. Turn up the heat to full and add beef and bacon.
4. Cook for several minutes until all beef is sealed.
5. Add all liquid ingredients and simmer for 2.5 hours.
6. Add all other ingredients, except mushrooms, and simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Fry mushrooms in a separate saucepan with salt and butter, add before service.
8. Season to taste and serve.